Welcome to Texas  
Governor Hogg Shrine
Historic Site

101 Governor Hogg Parkway
Quitman, Texas 75783
Phone: 903-763-4045
Operated by the City of Quitman
History: Governor Hogg Shrine Historic Site is a 26.7-acre tract in Wood County, northwest of Tyler. Original acreage was deeded by the Wood County Old Settlers Reunion Association in 1946; additional acres were a gift from Miss Ima Hogg in 1970; and earlier some acreage was purchased. The park was opened in 1950. It is now managed by the City of Quitman.
Named for James Stephen Hogg, the state's first Texas-born governor from 1891 to 1895, the park includes museums housing items which belonged to the Hogg and Stinson families. The Governor James Stephen Hogg Memorial Shrine was created in 1941. The Stinson Home was built in 1869 and was moved 13 miles to its present location in 1969. The structure contains 95 - 97% of the original lumber. The Old George Bridge was first put to use in the early 1900s and was moved to the park in 1986. The bridge is a pony truss, steel bridge, which is no longer used by bridge builders.
More Info: Click Here
Go To Top Of Page!

 

Emergency Call 9 1 1